Tuesday, October 04, 2011

RIP Bob Arihood


Local photographer and blogger celebrity Bob Arihood was found in his apartment last Friday, dead at 65 from a heart attack. His last post was Sept 25 so it is possible that he had been there the whole week until some worried friends finally decided to break in.

One of many memorials took place tonight at Bob's "post" in front of Ray's Candy Store. Lots of people spoke about their memories of Bob. Their was uniform agreement that he had a giant, gold heart. He chronicled the usually invisible people who hung around Ray's and Tompkins Square Park on his two blogs.

I knew Bob from around the neighborhood, and we always nodded hello. Once, when I was buying a milkshake, he came up to me and said, "Aren't you Jill?" Somehow he knew who I was, and I felt momentarily famous. He was one of the most easy going and engaging guys.

His blogs are here and here.

No comments: