Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thank you Delta Airlines

It is a rare and unusual circumstance that I find myself wanting to publicly thank an airline, but I am going to do it. So whoever is reading, please consider Delta Airlines for your next air travel option.

The story is long and boring so I won't repeat it, but after booking 2 tickets using frequent flyer miles they were going to charge me $100 change fee to change one segment of one of the 5 segment tickets so that I could get flights that are the same as my 14-year old son. (One of the middle flights in a 2-stop itinerary was different.) Trust me when I tell you that I had no other option on how I booked the tickets and they were punishing me with this fee that there was little I could have done to avoid.

At first I was told over and over that they would not waive the fee, as it is their policy. One customer service rep told me that given the state of the airlines there were no exceptions and cost cutting was at its highest point. I told her that I didn't think that my $100 fee was going to save the airlines. I did get her to transfer me to a supervisor who also told me she wouldn't waive it. She stood by her story for about 20 minutes.

As I argued, my case got stronger and stronger as I thought of more really good reasons why it wasn't fair that they charge me this fee. I had at least 3 excellent reasons why they should waive the fee and 2 other reasons that were a little shaky but made the 3 seem even better. I truly felt that given the circumstances it was the right and fair thing to do. Well, I wore her down and she changed my ticket without the fee.

Yay! We're going to Banff in 3 weeks AND I used my soon to expire frequent flyer miles for two of the tickets, AND my Amex points to save 25% on the third ticket. Now I just have to hope they don't cancel the flights.

No comments: