Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Joys of Spring

My Aunt Phyllis always told me NEVER to plant before Mother's Day. I take her word on this and so today we went and bought our annual plants for the garden and window box. My garden looks really good for the first time in 10 years. All the lily of the valleys are in smelly bloom, the scotch broom is just bursting with purple flowers and the ancient sage is about ready to burst with her purple flowers. The chives are also about ready to bloom, again they will be purple. It's just a bountiful spring in my little garden plot.

In digging out last year's detritus from the windowbox I found that the squirrels had been hard at work in that small space. I found a bunch of acorns and at least 5 walnut shell halves. I just can't imagine where they found so many walnut shells and what motivated them to come all the way up to the 6th floor with them. The kitten has not left the windowsill in 2 hours, she just loves it. It's a pink year.

No comments: