Thursday, May 08, 2014

Tokyo a Solo Adventure



I've never taken a vacation by myself, only business trips. The thought of going to a place that not only doesn't speak English, but doesn't use Latin letters or street names, is pretty unnerving. So I'm posting here because it's like having someone to talk to. 

My room is extremely quiet, no furniture, no tv, no radio. I forgot to bring a speaker so to hear music I need to use headphones. There is a shared balcony and one whole side of the room is windows. There are no locks on the doors and I'm assured Japan is extremely safe, even though the other guests aren't Japanese, MIn, the owner of this "share house" believes its safe because you have to have money to come to Japan (his words, not mine).  It's on the 9th floor, pretty windy, and not where I want to be during an earthquake.


Arrived after no sleep and a dramatic night figuring out that my son was indeed not going to be coming with me in the morning. My tears were, I think, the reason I got the exit row. I've finally stopped crying. 

The customs guy asked to see my guide book just in case my real reason to be here was visiting friends? Business? Curious. 

Had planned on taking the train from the airport, but the sales lady talked me out of it saying the bus is faster. Doesn't sound realistic but who am I to question such politeness?  

The ticket takers outside the bus bow deeply as the bus departs. Is it a prayer so we don't crash?

Announcement on bus: "portable telephones should not be used in the bus as they annoy the neighbors." Still I hear talking. 

The list of things I forgot is exceeding those I remember: makeup, contact lenses, tennis balls, journal, speaker, soap, I can't remember anymore what I forgot.

Google maps tells me it will take 10 minutes to walk from where the bus extrudes me. I ask about the train but can't understand what the woman says so I walk. I drag my suitcase in a circle around at least one giant block of government buildings, up and down the steep stairs of a pedestrian overpass, through broad and narrow streets, a beer piss tunnel, past endless ramen shops and girls on unbearably high heels walking too slow, and 40 minutes later I find the place. Now I nap.





No comments: