Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Most Underrated Chicken

I love fried chicken. It's one of those foods that you just can't make at home properly. It never comes out nearly as good, and also, who is going to start frying things anyways? Too much oil.

Thus, my favorite fast food joint in the neighborhood is, without question, Kennedy Fried Chicken. This place looks really weird and greasy with their bright red tiles and pipes half hidden in the walls, but the chicken is great. The sides such as the mashed potatoes and rolls are bad, avoid them. The french fries are pretty decent though.

One recent night, I wanted one chicken leg. For $1.50 what better bargain is there? Even a slice of pizza is more (well in most places). But they were out of legs, but even at 11pm they made me one piece of chicken, special. It took about 15 minutes and it was worth the wait. While waiting for my snack, I tried to ask the counterman if Kennedy's was a chain, or a relation to the famous politicos in Massachusetts, but he didn't know what I was talking about. A working knowledge of Arabic might be helpful for communication, but if you stick to the food, you'll do just fine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Kennedy Fried Chicken too--the one on 14th Street east side--although one of the people there selling is very snarkey and insulting--

Anonymous said...

yeah I remember him--the snarky one--short and chunky--always said something demeaning when I walked in-is he still there???

Anonymous said...

I tend to go in there when it is 2 or 3 in the morning, and have never encountered any rudeness. In fact, they have always been friendly and polite. Until recently they were only the place in the neighborhood to buy $1 cold Snapples after the 1st Avenue Pharmacy closes at 9. Unfortunately they have raised their prices to $1.25, which isn't bad, but the same price as about half the delis. I'm not a huge fan of their chicken, I prefer Kentucky Fried Chicken for bad for you fast food deliciousness, value, and variety. The one thing I do love at this place though are the sweet corn munchers, which are basically deep fried batter dipped sweet corn nuggets.