Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Chatty Cathies

Yesterday, while minding my own business, which I hope I always do, a taxi driver rolled down his window as I was crossing the street and leaned out to ask me a question. I didn't have to go out of my way to walk by his window, when he asked, me, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Startled, I said, "Why?" His answer, "I've always wanted to know." At that I walked on.

[Sidebar: In retrospect, this is possibly the first taxi driver in over a year that hasn't been talking on his cell phone, but to me. I should have given him all the tips I didn't give to those others taxi drivers, as my policy is if you talk on the phone the entire drive, you don't get a tip. If you hang up in the middle at some point, you get somewhat of a tip. If you don't talk at all, I am very generous.]

Then today I got on the bus going eastbound on 10th Street. As I walked up the steps the driver asked me if I brought my soul. "My what?" I asked. "Your soul." I thought he said "stole," as in "mink stole" so I said, awkwardly, "Why? Is it cold in here?" After I sat down he continued a conversation with a woman up front about whether there is such a thing as a soul, which is when I realized my mistake.

Mid-Year Resolution: I need to get used to talking to people f I'm going to have a more interesting two way conversation with drivers of public transportation.

No comments: