Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I Can't Drive 55

And neither can you.

Today I tried to drive at 55mph for 30 seconds and I actually could not do it. Try it. Really, next time you are on the highway with medium traffic, try to drive at 55mph for a minute. You can't. The reason is, I think, that technology has far outpaced the maximum speed requirement. Driving at 55 in a modern car feels like you are driving through sludge, it is soooooooooooo slow. You might as well get out and push.

I find that 70 is a very comfortable and natural speed to drive, without feeling like I'm speeding and without feeling like I am in danger at any time. Also, I can stop on a dime at that speed, so I never feel out of control no matter what kind of moron is driving in front of me.

We need to raise the speed limit.

No comments: