Saturday, November 04, 2006

I Need Ideas to Win the Prize

Any readers out there? I need help. At my office we are having a contest whereby everybody who enters has to bring in a dish they made themselves using the secret ingredient FRUIT. I know fruit is not a single ingredient, but the organizers decided to be vague. Also, no pies allowed because they are boring. I have asked if I could submit a tart, which is quite pie-like, and they rolled their eyes at me for being argumentative. So I think a pie that could pass as a tart would be eligible.

I don't know what to make, but I know I want to win.

I think anything with chocolate has a good chance to win. Also maybe something with alcohol because getting the judges drunk might help sway their opinions in my favorable direction.

If you submit a great recipe idea and I win, I will share the prize with you. I think the prize is theater tickets so you have to live in NY to take advantage of this great opportunity.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Brandied chocolate barlett pear puff,


1/2 pkg frozen puff pastry (1 sheet)

4 California Bartlett pears, halved and cored

2 California Bartlett pears, slightly under-ripe

2 tbsps brandy

1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips




Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Thaw pastry at room temperature for 30 minutes. Roll pastry into a 16" x 12" rectangle and place on an ungreased baking sheet; set aside.

Peel, core, and thinly slice the pears into a bowl. Sprinkle brandy over the pears and gently toss to coat. Place the chocolate chips down the middle third of the pastry and top with the pear and brandy mixture. Carefully fold the two sides up over the filling and press the dough together to seal the ends. Bake at 375 degrees until puffy and golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing, and serve warm.

Makes 6-8 servings.

Cooking tip: Adding more Brandy to the pears will enhance the flavor of the recipe, however it is subject to personal taste.
w about this one:

Diane said...

Go with mom's idea -- she beat me out by a mile!!!

Can you make this for us sometime, so I can have a teeny taste???!!!???

Jill said...

Sometimes alcohol in pastries backfires. I'm not sure it will win but it does sound delicious.

Anonymous said...

Chocolate Pear Spice Cake

2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground cloves
6 Tbsp. butter
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. molasses
2 eggs
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbsp. orange peel
1 small pear – peel, core and thinly sliced
2 oz. chocolate – coarsely chopped
½ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 recipe pear chips (bake slices at 300 degrees, 20-25 minutes, turning once)

Whipped cream

Preheat over to 350. Grease and flour 9” springform pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl stir flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, salt and cloves. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine butter, sugar, molasses. Beat with mixer. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in the ingredients alternating with applesauce – start and end with dry. Stir in orange peel.

Spoon batter into pan. Arrange pear slices on top and sprinkle with chocolate and nuts. Bake 1 hour or until top springs back and toothpick is clean. Cool on rack 10 minutes

Remove sides of pan.

Jill said...

Follow up: I made my mom's pear puff. There is no way this recipe needs 6 pears. I used 3 and it was good. It tasted delicious but looked ugly. It came in around 5th out of 12.