Saturday, August 12, 2006

Fun in a tenement


I can instantly list the reasons I live in a tenement, as I have had to defend my living choice to pretty much anybody who has ever set foot in my apartment. It's a place my grandparents would be angry to see me in, "after all we toiled to move out of that slum and you're right back where we started." (Well not really, they started in East New York which is still a slum; at least I live in a neighborhood that has become as overpriced as the rest of NY.)

However, there are some real fun times. Like today. I was cleaning the crisper in the bathtub, which is in the kitchen, and filled it with soapy water, and then brought the big heavy thing carefully to the toilet to dump out the scummy, dirty water. But oops I missed, and most of the water sloshed onto the floor. I watched in high spirits as it magically got sucked into the crack between the floor and the wall and drained down below, onto the ceiling of the guy downstairs. What a hoot. Didn't even need a mop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you are about to escape on vacation, Mermaid. What is it with the water thing anyway?? LOL

Jill said...

Oh my, water water everywhere. And maybe you don't know what I think of the guy downstairs, but I don't like him. I asked him once if I could see how they renovated his apartment (he pays like a zillion dollars rent and they made him a bathroom, and probably even a closet) and he wouldn't let me in. He looks like a lawyer or an accountant, very out of place here.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill ! Thanks for the link.I linked you back.Busy summer building movie sets (I'm now a union member)It beats cranky home owners trying to nickle and dime me on renovations. Miss you and 12th st posse. Wraping up movie in the late fall,hope to get down to the L.E.S. Big Love Chris

Jill said...

My mother would like anybody reading this to know that in actuality my grandparents did not start out in East New York, but in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) and Richmond Hill (Queens). They moved to East New York later and according to my mother it was certainly not a slum. I apologize to anybody who lived in East New York in the 1940's.